Wednesday, August 20, 2014

My first ride with Challanger Sails Fluido T3 6.6m2

After a long time there was finally a good wind-forecast for north Adriatic region. NE wind at Krk / Punat region was promising winds well over 20 knots. Saturday was the day. 

We, my girlfriend (also my camera girl :-)) and me have departed from Ljubljana somewhere before 6.00 AM. The highway to island Krk was opened recently so the ride wasn't that long. We were there before 9.00 AM which includes mandatory coffee break.

When we got there the wind was really great. On the water were mostly sails around 5m2. I really wanted to test my new Fluido T3 6.6, the smaller brother of the 7.8 which proved to be a splendid sail. So I set it up. 



This was the configuration:

  • Mast extension:  North Sails Power XT (short) - yeah I bought me one :DI had one few years ago - sold it just to find out that I miss the option of easy and exact trimming.

I prepared my Fanatic Hawk 93 board with 31 cm fin ....

... and chickened out ... ha ha

I was watching guys on water which boiled at moments and decided that just maybe 6.6. sail is pushing it a bit. So I assembled quickly the Challenger Sails Konda 4,7 sail and went in. It was a good decision. I had some nice rides with it. It has been a while since I rode such small sail ... and it felt like a toy. After some time the wind had receded and I was just wading in the water with the 4,7. Now it was time to change to bigger sail :D ...

I just changed the sails quickly and went back in. Although the sail was a 6.6 I could handle it well when the wind picked up at 20-30 knots again. I had to really hang in there, pull it down as much as possible and then I was flying. 

While the sail was OK I had some problems with the board. It was way too agile. I was riding a 93l board with a free move 31 cm fin and free race/slalom sail. The problem was obviously in the fin. The hawk is known to have slalom capabilities but with this fin it was more of a free move board. Unfortunately I didn't have a slalom or free race fin in this size. I was riding this setup for the rest of the day. It was some workout. I felt every muscle and felt great at the same time :-)

This was the end of one great surfing day. 

Unfortunately not much later it started to rain so we decided to go home instead of doing some sightseeing. And the trip home turned out to be a travel of 6 hours due to traffic congestions on the highway and border crossing but ... that is another story ...

P.S.: And yes, later I will post a movie that my girlfrend took :)

No comments:

Post a Comment