Wednesday, July 30, 2014

How does BUGFINS Freerace fin compare to the original Fanatic Shark Fin?

It is not totally fair to compare the original fanatic shark fin with this since one is freeride and other is freerace shape, so I'll just share my observations. 




On land

As I have mentioned the Freerace fin from Bugfins is a carbon fin. It is superlight, much narrower but still stiff enough. The Bugfins Freerace fin is 41 cm long and has rake of 10 degrees. Nice strait shape. Nice smooth finish with visible carbon fibers.

On the water - Shark with freerace character!

BUGFINS freerace fin enables me to get on plane faster than with the original fanatic shark fin. I could get on plane also in marginal wind conditions where I normally wouldn’t manage to get planing. It is incredibly fast. My Fanatic Shark 120 has become quite a freerace board with this fin. I could easily compete with other surfers on the water that were riding freerace and even slalom boards. 

In optimal conditions I had virtually no spin outs. I could feel the bubble forming before the actual spin out happened and had time to release the pressure, go a bit downwind and avoid the spin out. 

When over powered there were less spinout as well (I was riding only the Challenger sails Fluido T3 7,8 sail with three cambers). 

Upwind performance is also superior to the fanatic shark freeride fin. It is slightly less maneuverable compared to sharks freeride shape but still enables me to turn tight enough.

I recommend BUGFINS :)

All in all I am really satisfied with the freerace fin from BUGFINS and can recommend it with no restrictions. I think you can get them also online. If you are from Slovenia or somewhere close it is best to contact Rajko. I think he has some test fins that you can try before you buy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment